Saturday, January 22, 2011

Southwestern Rub

A very simple rub for chicken and pork. Made it up myself. I make a large batch of this and just have it on hand for Mexican food emergencies.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
pinch of ground cayenne pepper

You can go less or more on the cayenne, depending upon your heat tolerance.

Store in an airtight jar and use liberally to rub on meat. Get creative!

Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. soooo... say I rubbed this on some steaks. Would I then just grill them up like normal? How does this so-called 'rub' work? Do I sprinkle it on at the end?
    Forgive me, I came upon meat late in life and am still learning. I've got the browning down, am pretty good at whipping up sauces, but rubs are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rub is something you put on raw meat. You can use it on any kind of meat really, including fish, but generally things like chicken and pork get rubs and then are slow cooked/roasted at low temps. The difference between a rub and a regular seasoning is that you generally encrust the meat with a rub, while you merely sprinkle seasonings. And seasonings generally go on last.

    Despite this ingredient list, it is actually quite mild. But generally what I do is coat the meat in the rub and actually rub it in so it sticks to the meat. Then I pop it in the fridge for an hour or more. Then I put it in the oven to cook at about 100 to 150 degrees below what I would normally cook that cut of meat at, and double the cooking time. It usually works out.

    So for chicken, I cook at about 250 for just shy of an hour. I ALWAYS use a meat thermometer when doing this. Chicken has to cook to an internal temp of 160. If it takes longer to cook, so be it. But the meat will be moist and delicious. I promise.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome. Feedback on recipes appreciated.