Sunday, April 24, 2011

Deviled eggs three ways

Today being Easter and all, I thought I'd do something traditional and eat eggs. But I wasn't much in the mood for the whole dying the eggs and hiding them.  So I decided to make eggs my favorite way:  devil them!

But even then, I was in the mood for something different.  So I went with some different ideas.  I ended up with chipotle deviled eggs with adobo, yellow curry deviled eggs, and bacon and chive deviled eggs.  All were delicious.  And here's the process, I used.

I am very loosey goosey when it comes to making deviled eggs, so I'm doing my best to estimate amounts even though I didn't measure anything.  To start out with, I hard boiled 10 eggs, then peeled and de-yoked them.  Only 9 were used in these recipes.  One was retained as garnish for my spinach salad.

I made two slices of bacon and cut some fresh chives out of my garden.


I pulled a variety of mustards and mayos out as well.  That chipotle mayo is just about a half cup of mayo and two sliced chipotle peppers with adobo sauce from a can.


Of course, we needed some spices!  I was excited to try the Spanish style smoked paprika I just bought at Penzy's Spices in the Lou.


With everything assembled, here we go!

Curry Deviled Eggs
3 hard boiled eggs, sliced lengthwise with yokes removed
2 heaping tablespoons of low-fat mayo
0.5 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1.5 teaspoons yellow curry
1 tablespoon green onions (whites only), minced

Squash yokes up with fork.  Add remaining ingredients and use a knife to put the filling back in 6 half eggs.  Garnish with a little more yellow curry sprinkled on top.

Bacon and Chive Deviled Eggs
3 hard boiled eggs, sliced lengthwise with yokes removed
2 heaping tablespoons of low-fat mayo
0.5 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 slice of crisp bacon, crumbled
1 slice of bacon in bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon green onions (whites only), minced
several chopped leaves of chives
two or three shakes of cayenne pepper
smoked ground paprika for garnish

Smash yokes with fork Add mayo, mustard, crumbled bacon, green onions, chives, and ground cayenne pepper and mix well.  Return filling to 6 half egg whites.  Garnish with a piece of bacon, sprinkle with chives and smoked paprika.

Chipotle Deviled Eggs with Adobo
3 hard boiled eggs, sliced lengthwise with yokes removed
2 heaping tablespoons of chipotle-adobo mayo
1 tablespoon green onions (whites only), mincd
smoked ground chipotle pepper for garnish

Smash yokes with fork and add mayo and green onions.  Mix well and return filling to 6 half egg whites.  Garnish with ground chipotle pepper.

These were good people, but if I had to choose, I'd say the bacon and chive was my favorite, followed closely by the curry deviled eggs, and believe it or not, the chipotle-adobo eggs came in last.  I expected to like them the best!  I think the nearly 2 teaspoons of curry may have been overkill.  Next time, I'll scale that back a bit.  But honestly, they were still delicious.

So if you are in the mood for something different, why not give these a whirl?  Or maybe you just want to jazz up your next barbeque!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. Feedback on recipes appreciated.