Saturday, September 1, 2012

Apple crisp

 I have an apple tree in my yard, and despite the drought this year, I managed to get a healthy crop of apples.  I've eaten plenty raw.  I've given plenty away.  I've made applesauce, stewed apples, and even tried freezing a few.  But this was the real treat.  Apple crisp.  Heaven in a bowl.




I peeled about 7 or 8 of these apples, sliced them thin and placed them in a pie pan.  Wasn't necessary to grease the pan.  They didn't stick.

The topping is just a few simple ingredients:  oats, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.  What could be easier?  Pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes and voila!  A comfort food dessert.

This is what is looks like going in.......




And this is what it looks like after my big fat fork got into it.

Enjoy.  But don't say I didn't warn you.  I ate 1/3 of this before it even had time to cool off.







Apple crisp

7-8 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 cups old fashioned (not quick cook) oats
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Place the sliced apples in the pie plate.  Mix the remaining ingredients (hands are the best utensil) and top the apples with it.  Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until the top is browned.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. Feedback on recipes appreciated.