Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chance's Oatmeal Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits

Chance the Magnificent!
Post script:  I am sorry to say that Chance passed away on September 29, 2012.  My sister got him when he was about 3 years old at a shelter in Scranton, Pennsylvania.  Chance suffered from Grand Mal seizures.  It was not uncommon for his seizures to last up to 20 minutes.  No doubt, this is the reason he ended up in the shelter.  But my sister rescued Chance and turned him into the most spoiled lap dog you would have ever met.  Despite this failing, he was an awesome dog.  He was loved by all and will be missed.  I'm glad for all the great memories and we will always remember him when making *his* dog biscuits for our pets.   

This is a recipe given to me by my sister.  Her cocker spaniel Chance just loves them, so I've named them after him.  Apparently, he thinks he owns them.  The best thing about this recipe is that it is quick and easy.


1/4 cup peanut butter (I use creamy, natural peanut butter)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (invariably I add up to another tablespoon)
1 cup water
2.25 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashion oatmeal


Mix.  Roll to 1/4" and cut into squares or shapes.  Bake at 375F for 35 minutes.

I usually don't measure the peanut butter.  I just use a very large scoop of it.  I sometimes have to add more water to get the dough to tighten up.  I use a bench knife to cut them into bit-sized squares, although my sister uses a dog-bone cookie cutter.  I prefer giving the dog smaller treats.  But whatever you do, keep an eye on these in the oven, because if your dough is thin, they can burn around the edges if you don't watch them.

Dogs love them.  Scout can't wait for them to cool before he's begging for a few.

Follow Me on Pinterest


  1. I need to try these for Toots and Dewey! Do they need to be kept in the fridge?

  2. No, you don't have to keep these in the fridge. You need to bake them long enough that they are cooked through like a cracker. If you don't get all the moisture out, they will get moldy. I usually taste test one of the thicker pieces to make sure they are done. Getting them evenly done is the trick. You may want to take some of the thinner and smaller pieces out after 30 minutes and leave the thicker pieces in for another 5-10 minutes or until done. Once these things get over-done, no one wants to eat them!

  3. My oven has no temperature gauge (and I broke the oven thermometer I had several months ago and have failed to replace it) so temperatures given here may work better than my actual experience. I have no idea what the temperature is and I think my oven runs hot. So, if you find that baking at 375F for 35 mins is too long and they get too done, try bumping the temp down to 325. When things need to bake without burning, I prefer lower baking temps than lower baking times.


Comments welcome. Feedback on recipes appreciated.